Space:1999 website

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Space:1999 website

Post by JoelOwens on Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:51 pm

Hi, all. I'd like to throw in my shameless plug for my Space:1999 website, this looks like the place to do it!
It's located at http://www.joelowens.org/space1999/space1999.htm

There's audio from the Year One episodes in WMA and MP3 format for those of you with iPods and other media devices.

There is also my original sound effect recreations using FFT and some math to analyze the original sounds and tone generation to recreate them; These are clean and have no background noise. I get lots of email from people using them as ring tones.

Just added a section for models, including a paper Communications Post model, and a 'Cardstock overlay on Balsa' model as well with photos. Hoping to do a lot more with this area in the near future.

Enjoy, but be sure to give me some feedback!

~Joel
JoelOwens

View user profile http://www.joelowens.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Space:1999 website

Post by Commander Koenig on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:07 pm

Hi Joel,
Thanks for posting the link to your site. Just had a very quick look and I love what I see so far, you have some interesting stuff on there which I look forward to exploring further.

The Impossible just takes a little longer
Commander Koenig
Admin

View user profile http://space1999.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan on Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:29 pm

Most excellent: another Space: 1999 site. You do need to update several references and links. For example, the link to the old Main Mission group now leads here. And, but of course, the new standard for series 1 watching is the Network set, although that might well be superseded by the upcoming blueray set due this fall. Cheers.
s99fan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JoelOwens on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:23 am

Thanks, s99fan - You are correct, I need to periodically check my links to other people's content as it changes from time to time. For instance:

My link to the old Main Mission group has not been altered since I first placed it on my site, so there must be some domain forwarding or something in place that causes my old link to forward into this forum.

I take it from that fact that this forum is the former Main Mission Forum, is it not? Well, I'm glad whoever hosts it was kind enough to maintain their domain forwarding so it didn't result in a completely broken link.

Regarding the Network DVD set, I simply was not aware it was out. While it may be the new standard where you are located, it appears to be largely unavailable to me here in the States, except in other region formats that are not usable by my player. Others may have been able to acquire it, I've just been out of the loop too long.

I did note the Carlton/A&E 30th Anniversary "megaset" is available both in local stores here and on US-Ebay in large quantity for around $45 USD. I'm just sad the quality of this product wasn't better - I did note right away the still pictures on them were the worst I'd seen anywhere, but at least some were photos I had not seen before.

Martin Willey's website does a great job showing how much improved the Network DVD set is over the Carlton/A&E set, it appears someone adjusted the contrast up a good bit, even over-doing it in some places - I am hoping this transfer is taken to the Blu-Ray release that Martin cites is slated for November of this year. How exciting! (I'm sure this release is covered in great detail in the other layers of this forum, so 1000 pardons, dear readers).

If you find other links on my site that need updated, please forward those to me as well, and I'll get them updated or removed.

Also, I wanted to announce that I have added 4 new sound effect files as of yesterday. These are some sounds I located during a listen of "Testament of Arkadia". Analyzing the sound components of each effect and using the FFT and sine-wave additive signal generation to recreate these takes much time and effort - I hope people will stop by there to give a listen!

Thanks again, I appreciate the invite back into this forum!

Respectfully yours,

Joel
JoelOwens

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:31 pm

Joel: I have perused your site. It is very commendable.

This site is not the former Main Mission. For a while each coexisted, but the Main Mission site essentially closed down last fall, although the site was not blanked and rerouted to here until much more recently.

The Network set is undoubtedly Region 2, however I am also currently based in North America Region 1 as you appear also to be. Multi-region DVD players have of recent become quite affordable, and lacking that it is easy enough to convert many region 1 players to region free. A simple google will inform you how.

Cheers.
s99fan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JoelOwens on Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:17 am

Thanks for the update! I edited my site yesterday, updated the information regarding this forum, removing the old graphic and links, replacing it with the new. Also updated the graphics for the "Ring Around The Moon" webring as well. Thanks for the clarification about the Main Mission forum.

I think I may wait out the Blu-Ray this Fall to see if they deliver on Space:1999. It does appear to be easy to alter most commercial players for region 9, though if the deal falls thru. The Network DVD's that I saw the other day were for Australia.

Best wishes,
~joel
JoelOwens

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan on Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:50 pm

JoelOwens wrote: The Network DVD's that I saw the other day were for Australia.[/color]

Yes, those came out within the past few months, and are of a fair cost, especially when compared to the initial cost when first released.
s99fan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:25 pm

s99fan wrote:This site is not the former Main Mission. For a while each coexisted, but the Main Mission site essentially closed down last fall, although the site was not blanked and rerouted to here until much more recently.

S99 is quite correct. I joined the old Main Mission site and saw that it was closing down. If memory serves me correctly I think there was a message there from the site owner asking if anyone was interested in taking the site over, and I contacted him to express an interest. However, in the meantime I had created my Space: 1999 website and got to work on a forum just because I was interested in seeing if I could do it for starters!! I had never set up a forum before so it was a bit of fun and a bit of an experiment really. However, I am so pleased that I did it now, and glad to see that it is still going after almost a year! Very Happy

s99fan wrote:
The Network set is undoubtedly Region 2, however I am also currently based in North America Region 1 as you appear also to be. Multi-region DVD players have of recent become quite affordable, and lacking that it is easy enough to convert many region 1 players to region free. A simple google will inform you how.

That's interesting! I'm in a Region 2 area and my current DVD player isn't multi-region. It is so frustrating looking for DVDs and realising that they are Region 1 so no use to me! I'll have to look into converting mine. Thanks for the tip S99. Wink

Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JoelOwens on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:17 pm

Btw, just finished a bucket full of new sound fx on the site. It's taken some time, hope everyone enjoys them!
JoelOwens

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig on Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:30 am

s99fan wrote:

Your suggestion about converting DVD players to play other/multi region DVDs got me googling! I found a site which didn't make a charge to get the unlock code, tried it on my region 2 player. I didn't have any region 1 dvds to try so I ordered a cheap one which would be no loss if it didn't work out, and guess what, hey presto, it works. Very Happy Thanks for the tip S99. cheers

Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan on Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:01 am

You are most welcome.
s99fan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SPACE 1899 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:20 pm

s99fan wrote: Multi-region DVD players have of recent become quite affordable, and lacking that it is easy enough to convert many region 1 players to region free. A simple google will inform you how.

Certainly beats buying a region 1 dvd player and a seperate region 2 dvd player. I bought an 'unlock' code on ebay for a couple of pounds and it worked perfectly in converting my region 2 dvd player to a multi region player. Then I was able to go ahead and purchase the American Region 1 Space 1999 30th anniversary 17 dvd set from ebay.com to go with my Network and Carlton Space 1999 dvd sets. You know it makes sense
SPACE 1899

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig on Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:45 am

SPACE 1899 wrote:
s99fan wrote: Multi-region DVD players have of recent become quite affordable, and lacking that it is easy enough to convert many region 1 players to region free. A simple google will inform you how.

Certainly beats buying a region 1 dvd player and a seperate region 2 dvd player. I bought an 'unlock' code on ebay for a couple of pounds and it worked perfectly in converting my region 2 dvd player to a multi region player. Then I was able to go ahead and purchase the American Region 1 Space 1999 30th anniversary 17 dvd set from ebay.com to go with my Network and Carlton Space 1999 dvd sets. You know it makes sense

I unlocked my old DVD player so that it can now play region 1 DVDs, however the machine had been playing up a bit so I just bought a new DVD recorder. Unfortunately the site I used to get the unlock code for my old player doesn't have an unlock code for my new one!!!! AHHHH! I've looked on various other sites for codes but can't find one, so it looks as if I will have to buy one or take it to the shop where I bought the new player and get them to do it for me. However, when looking for unlock codes I did find a download which would allow my computer DVD drive to play region 1 dvds so at least I can play them on the computer until I get the DVD sorted! Oh the wonders of technology....

Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JoelOwens on Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:34 am

These adjustments may work fine for most DVD players, in fact I hope they do in all our cases. But from an engineering standpoint, let me just inject here the programmers who create the micro control code for these consumer level items sometimes leave back doors for people to do specific things, sometimes they are maintenance tasks and so forth. They were not designed to be part of the consumer's usage and as such, they are not put thru any of the testing rigors in production that the rest of the code is. That's why many of these unlock scenarios are littered with "you may have to try this 3 or 4 times". The main caveat I want to pass along to everyone is that you are taking the risks of using an often untested or unproven piece of code which directly impacts your DVD hardware internals. No one is under any obligation to warranty your unit that you've attempted to alter in the event you send the internal software on an Unconditional Branch to the weeds. There is a distinct possibility that if you can't reset the internal processor(s) following such a failure (good luck getting someone to tell you which I/O pin(s) or hardware reset pin has to be pulled hi or low to restart it), your unit may become a rather spendy boat anchor.

Just keep in mind that I'm not confirming or denying anything here except to open you up to the concept that you are taking risks by changing your players. Best wishes, and in the instance of being able to watch Space:1999 I wish you all the best of luck.
JoelOwens

Back to top Go down

Post by SPACE 1899 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:08 am

JoelOwens wrote:[size=12]They were not designed to be part of the consumer's usage and as such, they are not put thru any of the testing rigors in production that the rest of the code is.
Good point. That's why I read the feedback and comments of previous buyers and checked that it was positive before I bought an unlock code from an ebay seller to unlock my dvd player some time back.
SPACE 1899

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig on Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:39 am

SPACE 1899 wrote:
JoelOwens wrote:[size=12]They were not designed to be part of the consumer's usage and as such, they are not put thru any of the testing rigors in production that the rest of the code is.
Good point. That's why I read the feedback and comments of previous buyers and checked that it was positive before I bought an unlock code from an ebay seller to unlock my dvd player some time back.

Your advice is good advice Joel. I also read the feedback comments before unlocking my old dvd player, which was on its last legs anyway, so if I had messed it up it wouldn't have been too drastic! As regards my new DVD recorder I think I may leave that alone and stick to playing my region 1 dvds on my pc in future now that I am able to do that without messing up my computer!

Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cmdrkoenig67 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:28 pm

It's been a long time since I've visited your website, Joel...But it's a great place for Alpha fans to visit. I especially like your sound fx and episode audio pages.

Dana
cmdrkoenig67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Unlock codes

Post by JoelOwen on Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:16 am

That was a pretty wise thing to do. Once in a while I'll read someone's account of boat-anchoring some device they are trying to dive into. Glad it worked for you, but best of all - I'm waiting anxiously for the HD DVD's to hit the market!

Cheers, fellow fans! Kampai!

JoelOwen

Back to top Go down

Post by astro7 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:56 am

Gulp! I had mine altered with a new chip about ten years back!
astro7

Location : The current locations of The Ultra Probe in space or The Kaldorian spaceship! Take your pick!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top