SPACE: 1999
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book

+9
CHAS1999
SPACE 1899
Steve Gerard
mcgun106
cmdrkoenig67
s99fan
Commander Koenig
Andrew Kearley
CalgaryAlphan
13 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

"Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book Empty "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book

Post by CalgaryAlphan Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:01 am

Allow me the opportunity to start a thread for my upcoming new book, "Destination: Moonbase Alpha - The Unofficial and Unauthorised Guide to Space: 1999". The website for my book is www.destinationmoonbasealpha.net , where you can learn more about the book, and link to pre-order. The release date is not firmly set yet, but we are hoping it might be released before the end of 2009. Fingers crossed!

If anyone has any questions about the book, feel free to ask.
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

http://www.destinationmoonbasealpha.net

Back to top Go down

"Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book Empty Re: "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book

Post by Andrew Kearley Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:49 pm

The book sounds great - I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Will you be covering the development of the scripts at all - including any unmade episodes - for instance, Art Wallace's original "Siren Planet" script? I've always been interested in what might have been. I remember reading a detailed synopsis of Siren Planet online once, as well as an unmade script called, I think, "Breath of Death" - but I can't seem to find them anywhere now, and I'd be interested in reading more about those.
Andrew Kearley
Andrew Kearley

http://www.eyespider.freeserve.co.uk/space/content.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:20 pm

I really can't wait for this book to arrive (I've pre-ordered it so just a case of being patient!). I'm particularly looking forward to reading the sory behind the disappearence of Professor Bergman. I really missed him in the second season, just wasn't the same. Tell me Robert, when you were researching the book how did you go about getting input from the leading actors in the show - was it face to face, phone, email? Just curious Wink
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

https://space1999.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:52 pm

Andrew Kearley wrote:The book sounds great - I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Will you be covering the development of the scripts at all - including any unmade episodes - for instance, Art Wallace's original "Siren Planet" script? I've always been interested in what might have been. I remember reading a detailed synopsis of Siren Planet online once, as well as an unmade script called, I think, "Breath of Death" - but I can't seem to find them anywhere now, and I'd be interested in reading more about those.

Hi Andrew,

The unfilmed scripts are touched on here and there in the book, but are not delved into in great depth. The reason is simply space constraints. There just wasn't room for absolutely everything that I wanted (or wished) I could include. But what is in the book is, in my opinion (although it will obviously be up to people like yourself to ultimately decide this) absolutely the most comprehensive history and analysis of Space: 1999 that has ever been published.

As for "A Breath of Death", which was written by Irving Gaynor Neiman, I do have a copy of that script. I will be able, and more than happy, to scan the script and post it online for others to read... but you will have to give me a bit of time. I'm very pressured by work at the moment, but will have more time come December.

I assume you would be interested in reading the script?
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:10 pm

Commander Koenig wrote:I really can't wait for this book to arrive (I've pre-ordered it so just a case of being patient!). I'm particularly looking forward to reading the sory behind the disappearence of Professor Bergman. I really missed him in the second season, just wasn't the same. Tell me Robert, when you were researching the book how did you go about getting input from the leading actors in the show - was it face to face, phone, email? Just curious Wink

Hi Commander Koenig!

Thanks for pre-ordering the book. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it! And yes, I think the section devoted to the disappearance of Barry Morse and Professor Bergman is one of the highlights of the book, and provides a missing link (so to speak!) in 1999 history.

But you asked about the input contained in my book from the leading actors of the show. Well, this varies a great deal. In some cases the material has partly come from personal interviews (with Barry Morse, for example). In other cases the material has come from video and audio recordings of convention appearances over the years (this is by far the largest portion of commentary material from the cast, writers, etc..), including some extremely rare material. And in still other cases the commentary has been culled from old newspaper or magazine articles (ranging from obscure and rare sources to more commonly known sources like Starlog - from which a couple quotes from Martin Landau (for example) have been drawn because they were worthwhile including and helped to complete the overall "picture" of the making of the series.)

I think the overall picture of the creation of the series is completely and thoroughly presented in the book, and is told in the words of those who made it. And that is what will - I believe - make my book unique and invaluable to fans, who will be able to refer back to it for years and decades to come. There is a LOT of fascinating commentary from cast, writers, etc... in the book.

Apart from the commentary the majority of the rest of the book consists of my own episode analysis, which of course some people will agree with and others will not agree with. Reviews of dramatic productions are like that. But they give a touchstone for viewers, and I hope that my analysis of various episodes will bring up points of view or depths that even dedicated fans might not have considered. Even if you find yourself disagreeing with a particular episode review in my book, I hope you will agree that I have at least argued my points well.

I hope to know the release date soon, and will share the info as soon as I have it.
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:47 pm

CalgaryAlphan wrote:

Absolutely.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Kearley Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:50 pm

Yes, that would be great.
Andrew Kearley
Andrew Kearley

Back to top Go down

Post by cmdrkoenig67 Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:40 am

Andrew Kearley wrote:The book sounds great - I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Siren Planet became Matter of Life and Death (with a rewrite by Johnny Byrne)...So I don't think it qualifies as an "unmade" episode really (Wallace is credited on the episode alongside Byrne at the Catacombs).

Dana
cmdrkoenig67
cmdrkoenig67

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:19 am

cmdrkoenig67 wrote:

Siren Planet became Matter of Life and Death (with a rewrite by Johnny Byrne)...So I don't think it qualifies as an "unmade" episode really (Wallace is credited on the episode alongside Byrne at the Catacombs).

Dana

You're right Dana, "Siren Planet" was produced as "A Matter of Life and Death". It would be interesting to read Wallace's original script, which I've never come across. Johnny said that it was more or less a complete re-write and that he could have taken full credit for the final script, but because the basic idea behind it was Wallace's he decided to share the credit.
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:09 am

Byrne always has come across as a decent chap in all the interviews I have read/seen.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Kearley Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:05 am

As I said, I'm sure I once read a detailed synopsis/script extract of "Siren Planet" online once, so the script must be out there somewhere. Pity I can't seem to find it now... Although the basic idea was indeed the same, it played out quite differently. As I recall, Lee Russell wasn't actually Lee, but an illusion or duplicate created by the beings on the planet - and towards the end, Koenig encountered his father on the planet, again created by the aliens.
Andrew Kearley
Andrew Kearley

Back to top Go down

"Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book Empty Book

Post by mcgun106 Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:31 pm

I just put an order in with the book. I hope it is good! Smile
mcgun106
mcgun106

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:48 pm

mcgun106 wrote:I just put an order in with the book. I hope it is good! Smile

Thank you very much for placing a pre-order for my book. I believe strongly in it, and I think that it will be well received by readers like yourself - I'll be looking forward to your reaction once the book is available and you have your copy.
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:22 am

CalgaryAlphan wrote:
As for "A Breath of Death", which was written by Irving Gaynor Neiman, I do have a copy of that script. I will be able, and more than happy, to scan the script and post it online for others to read... but you will have to give me a bit of time. I'm very pressured by work at the moment, but will have more time come December.

Robert, it would be great if you could post the script for "A Breath of Death" online. Appreciate you're very busy but when you have the time I'm sure we'd all love to read it.
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:38 am

Commander Koenig wrote:
CalgaryAlphan wrote:

Robert, it would be great if you could post the script for "A Breath of Death" online. Appreciate you're very busy but when you have the time I'm sure we'd all love to read it.

I will - and will let you know when I've got it online. Give me a little while...
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Gerard Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:10 am

Calgary Alphan(Robert E.Wood), once again, I look forward to purchasing your brilliant new book DESTINATION MOONBASE ALPHA! Laughing What a Face Shocked cheers
Steve Gerard
Steve Gerard

Back to top Go down

Post by SPACE 1899 Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:34 am

Commander Koenig wrote:Robert, it would be great if you could post the script for "A Breath of Death" online. Appreciate you're very busy but when you have the time I'm sure we'd all love to read it.

Definately interested in this one, Robert.
Over the past year I have managed to acquire (at considerable expense) nearly all the Space 1999 episode scripts from Year 1 and Year 2 in hard copy form from ebay (mostly ebay.com), but a copy of "A Breath of Death" would be a most welcome addition. bounce
SPACE 1899
SPACE 1899

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:40 am

SPACE 1899 wrote:
Commander Koenig wrote:Robert, it would be great if you could post the script for "A Breath of Death" online. Appreciate you're very busy but when you have the time I'm sure we'd all love to read it.

Definately interested in this one, Robert.
Over the past year I have managed to acquire (at considerable expense) nearly all the Space 1999 episode scripts from Year 1 and Year 2 in hard copy form from ebay (mostly ebay.com), but a copy of "A Breath of Death" would be a most welcome addition. bounce

Will do. Just give me a bit of time.
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by CHAS1999 Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:33 am

Hope i can get the book in the U.S.A.

CHAS1999

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:15 pm

CHAS1999 wrote:Hope i can get the book in the U.S.A.

Yes, the book is currently available for Pre-Order in the USA from FABGear at www.fabgearusa.com - and of course you can also order it from the publisher in the UK as they also ship to the US.
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by CHAS1999 Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:39 pm

Thanks for the info.

CHAS1999

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:33 am

Unfortunately it appears the book will be delayed until April, 2010. From an email sent by Telos Publishing:

We're sorry to have to let you know, but the release dates of the titles planned to be published by Telos Publishing for 2009 have been put back to 2010. The reasons for this are mainly due to the fact that Telos is run in our spare time, and for David particularly, this year has seen a lot of change in his personal life which has impacted being able to progress the books as quickly as we would have liked.

We are putting a new, tentative publication date on of April 2010. We hope that some of them might be available earlier than this, and if they are, then we'll announce them on the Telos Site accordingly.

We're sorry to everyone who will be disappointed at the delay (and in some cases it's a continued delay), but we'd rather do this than to continue to promote unrealistic dates for the books.

We will always offer full refunds to anyone who orders and then wishes to cancel, and so if this is the case, then please let us know by email at david@telos.co.uk and we'll sort that out for you.

Very disappointing, but the company is conducting themselves honourably, so I'll continue to wait patiently.

Last edited by s99fan on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : syntax typo)
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:49 am

s99fan wrote:Unfortunately it not appears the book will be delayed until April, 2010. From an email sent by Telos Publishing:
Yes, at least the company have explained the reason for the delay, which is always good to see. Some company's don't bother. I too will wait patiently, and I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:54 am

Thanks for your patience. You've heard the bad news (that the book is delayed until early 2010 - April at the latest), now would you like some good news?

I am happy to be able to tell you that the book will now include a photo section featuring the fantastic models and spacecraft designed and built for Space: 1999 by Martin Bower! In addition, the photo section will include production designer Keith Wilson's original design drawing for the Stun Gun!

Another bonus that will be included due to the delay of the book is a comprehensive Index, which will allow readers to look up the pages where a specific actor (for example) is mentioned in the book.

So, yes, the book has been delayed, but it will be (to borrow a promotional phrase from the series) "Bigger, Better, More Exciting than Ever!"
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:17 am

Very good news, Robert, although this must be very trying on you.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next