SPACE: 1999
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kano...your musings.

+7
Magnus Greel
Gaudior
Commander Koenig
SPACE 1899
CalgaryAlphan
s99fan
Senmut
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Kano...your musings. Empty Kano...your musings.

Post by Senmut Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:03 am

What do you like or dislike about our fav 'puter guy? The character, the performance, and the way he was utilized.

Last edited by Senmut on Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Senmut
Senmut

Back to top Go down

Kano...your musings. Empty Re: Kano...your musings.

Post by s99fan Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:13 am

Underutilized, you mean. I appreciate it was the era, but how very interesting it would have been to see Kano, Morrow, Benes, Aleksandr and but of course, Carter, fleshed out and developed.

Clifton Jones did a fine job in his portrayal. I can see the computer engineer in him as he defends his beloved Computer from the slurs of his comrades.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:45 am

I think Kano had some interesting traits to him, particularly a recurring pessimistic streak, which surfaced in lines like "destruction of Alpha imminent." There are other instances, as well.

Clifton Jones always gave his all to the performance, and of course, he did have the cool revolving desk!
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

http://www.destinationmoonbasealpha.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SPACE 1899 Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:20 pm

The funniest scene with Kano has to be as the camera pans across the audience at the guitar recital concert at the start of 'The Troubled Spirit' episode.
There he is, sitting in the front row, looking absolutely bored out of his skull, thinking - "Why oh why did I pay top prices for a front row seat for this drivel."
Makes me chuckle anyway Very Happy
SPACE 1899
SPACE 1899

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:37 pm

SPACE 1899 wrote:The funniest scene with Kano has to be as the camera pans across the audience at the guitar recital concert at the start of 'The Troubled Spirit' episode.
There he is, sitting in the front row, looking absolutely bored out of his skull, thinking - "Why oh why did I pay top prices for a front row seat for this drivel."
Makes me chuckle anyway Very Happy

Yes, and Victor looks like he's asleep!
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

https://space1999.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:05 pm

Commander Koenig wrote:

No, he is, as my American friends phrase it, 'in the zone'. Cool
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Senmut Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:44 pm

s99fan wrote:Underutilized, you mean. I appreciate it was the era, but how very interesting it would have been to see Kano, Morrow, Benes, Aleksandr and but of course, Carter, fleshed out and developed.

Clifton Jones did a fine job in his portrayal. I can see the computer engineer in him as he defends his beloved Computer from the slurs of his comrades.

"the era"? How do you mean?
Senmut
Senmut

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:48 pm

The 1970's series were meant to be watched in any order without the need to know subtitles of character, ergo, no over-arcing storylines, no development of secondary characters.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gaudior Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:53 pm

I think Kano was in love with Computer to the exclusion of nearly everything else!

Gaudior

http://www.doublecheck-it.com

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:30 am

Gaudior wrote:I think Kano was in love with Computer to the exclusion of nearly everything else!

A fair piece of insight. If the series had continued, and continued on with him, it would have been fascinating to see him develop.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SPACE 1899 Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:59 pm

s99fan wrote:
Commander Koenig wrote:

No, he is, as my American friends phrase it, 'in the zone'. Cool

They are not asleep - they are just resting their eyes...zzz...
SPACE 1899
SPACE 1899

Back to top Go down

Post by SPACE 1899 Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:27 pm

s99fan wrote:no development of secondary characters.

That's exactly the way that Martin Landau wanted it. Take a listen to the audio file of Nick Tate's interview at the 2005 Space 1999 convention (available on Captain Phils website) and you'll hear it from Nick himself.
SPACE 1899
SPACE 1899

Back to top Go down

Post by SPACE 1899 Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:30 pm

s99fan wrote:
Gaudior wrote:I think Kano was in love with Computer to the exclusion of nearly everything else!

A fair piece of insight. If the series had continued, and continued on with him, it would have been fascinating to see him develop.

Agreed - it's a shame that the majority of the time - all he was doing was printing off and reading till receipts.
SPACE 1899
SPACE 1899

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Greel Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:08 am

I think that if I were around Kano for any length of time, I wouldn't be able to resist trying to play some sort of joke on him. He gives the impression of a bookish, retiring guy totally absorbed in his own field, without a sense of humor. Except that, no, I'll bet he does have a sense of humor, a dry one, and he'd let loose with it the moment you started to think you'd pulled something on him....

We all want to know these people better, but often we're better off not getting what we want. One great thing about year one was that priority was given to the themes of each episode, and the overall feel of isolation and alien-ness. There's only so much time available in an hour-long story, after dealing with wonders of an unknown, nearly unknowable universe.
Magnus Greel
Magnus Greel

http://visualdevice.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:01 am

Magnus Greel wrote:
We all want to know these people better, but often we're better off not getting what we want. One great thing about year one was that priority was given to the themes of each episode, and the overall feel of isolation and alien-ness. There's only so much time available in an hour-long story, after dealing with wonders of an unknown, nearly unknowable universe.

Disagree, to a degree. If the series had continued in series one format, I very much feel subtle exploration of character backgrounds would have enhanced the interdynamics and development of the plot. Granted, I would not want Coronation Street level histrionics, but knowing how and why the characters got into the space programme, their fears and aspirations, where ion terra firma they grew up, that would have enhanced the story, not detracted from the main thrust which you so admirably summarize.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SPACE 1899 Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:23 am

s99fan wrote:If the series had continued in series one format, I very much feel subtle exploration of character backgrounds would have enhanced the interdynamics and development of the plot.

And would have increased the viewers understanding and empathy for the characters. For example, the series 'Lost' does that very effectively by flashback sequences showing a characters earlier life.
SPACE 1899
SPACE 1899

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Greel Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:00 pm

s99fan wrote:

Disagree, to a degree. If the series had continued in series one format, I very much feel subtle exploration of character backgrounds would have enhanced the interdynamics and development of the plot. Granted, I would not want Coronation Street level histrionics, but knowing how and why the characters got into the space programme, their fears and aspirations, where ion terra firma they grew up, that would have enhanced the story, not detracted from the main thrust which you so admirably summarize.

Thanks... and I agree, as long as it's done economically, as in s1. I wouldn't want much more time devoted to character's individual lives and backgrounds, but a bit more could work. Gradually we'd have found out more about these people just by seeing more episodes with small concentrated character moments.

"Lost" is a very different program, though, being made for a different purpose, and I wouldn't want anything close to that level of character background. Sp:99 is far more about what's out there, and its implications for history and humanity, than it is about the individuals involved. "Lost" is all about characters. Sp:99 has a much different vantage point, and a different scale to it.

Last edited by Magnus Greel on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : as usual i made mistakes)
Magnus Greel
Magnus Greel

Back to top Go down

Post by Senmut Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:38 am

Kano's brain implant/computer interface. It would have been interesting to learn more about that program, why he was part of it, and how it "drove" him to Alpha, if that's what happened. Some real potential character development there.
Senmut
Senmut

Back to top Go down

Post by SPACE 1899 Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:22 am

Senmut wrote:Some real potential character development there.
Speaking of character development, can't remember which novel it was, but in one of the Space 1999 novels there is a passage where with the approach of some imminent danger, Kano was clutching some kind of medallion ? and there followed a description of his home life and who gave him the medallion.
Anyone remember which novel this was in ???
SPACE 1899
SPACE 1899

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Greel Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:27 pm

Senmut wrote:Kano's brain implant/computer interface. It would have been interesting to learn more about that program, why he was part of it, and how it "drove" him to Alpha, if that's what happened. Some real potential character development there.

It's character development with real science fiction content, so that would be good, I think.
Magnus Greel
Magnus Greel

Back to top Go down

Post by Senmut Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:07 am

And Space had characters we actually care about.
Senmut
Senmut

Back to top Go down

Post by mafiafran Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:15 pm

mafiafran

Back to top Go down

Post by Senmut Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:27 pm

Wwelll wwhattt?
Senmut
Senmut

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack18 Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:52 am

victor is asleep in that episode the troubled Spirit
Jack18
Jack18

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:58 am

Er, no. See the response on page one.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum