I Mock Therefore I Am

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I Mock Therefore I Am

Post by Magnus Greel on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:12 pm

I'm warning the approximately 2 1/2 humans on this board... I'm seriously (this post utilizes a new definition for the word "seriously") considering a personal marathoning of the season we know as Two, along with a barrage of commentary which could possibly be regarded as falling within the boundaries of that which can be described as "mocking".

I come in peace, and I approach anyone with respect who might care to defend season two. However, being a s1 enthusiast, I don't intend to be merciful.

If it turns out I'm alone on this board though, I don't even intend to go to the trouble of mocking. I'm a busy man.

Last edited by Magnus Greel on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I stupidly didn't capitalize every word in the thread title.)
Magnus Greel

View user profile http://visualdevice.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: I mock therefore I am

Post by Commander Koenig on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:32 pm

Although I did enjoy quite a few episodes in Year 2, by and large I too much prefer Year 1. Differing views and likes and dislikes makes for lively discussion on forums and as long as we respect other people's opinions then I see no harm in expressing your feelings! This human is prepared for battle affraid

The Impossible just takes a little longer
Commander Koenig
Admin

View user profile http://space1999.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I Mock Therefore I Am

Post by s99fan on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:38 pm

I have reservations about this. While also an admitted series 1 fan, I would hesitate to start a thread deliberately 'mocking' series 2. Our fandom is too small to insult those who enjoy and even favor the second series. A thread to review each episode and discuss its merits or demerits would be good. This forum has made for a very strong start; let us continue in its inclusive nature.
s99fan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:52 pm

s99fan wrote:I have reservations about this. While also an admitted series 1 fan, I would hesitate to start a thread deliberately 'mocking' series 2. Our fandom is too small to insult those who enjoy and even favor the second series. A thread to review each episode and discuss its merits or demerits would be good. This forum has made for a very strong start; let us continue in its inclusive nature.

I would agree that it is against the ethos of this forum to deliberately 'mock' series 2 as I certainly would hate to see anyone being insulted just because their opinion differs from someone else's. As I stated in my previous message, we all need to respect each others views and opinions and if this forum were to descend into insult-swapping then I would have no hesitation in taking it down.

By all means Magnus, express your likes and dislikes of series 2 episodes but please do so in such a way that we see a constructive exchange of views and opinions and not just mocking for the sake of mocking. As s99 fan suggests, a thread to discuss the relative merits/demerits of each each episode would be good so can I suggest we go down that route.

Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Greel on Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:16 am

I did already say I'd be respectful toward other posters. The episodes, that's different. I'm not worried about splitting apart any Sp:99 fandom since s1 and s2 have about as much in common for me as 2001 and Buck Rogers. I wouldn't be mean-spirited about it.
Magnus Greel

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig on Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:00 am

Magnus Greel wrote:I did already say I'd be respectful toward other posters. The episodes, that's different. I'm not worried about splitting apart any Sp:99 fandom since s1 and s2 have about as much in common for me as 2001 and Buck Rogers. I wouldn't be mean-spirited about it.

Although I appreciate that you would be respectful towards other posters and in particular those on this forum who prefer season 2, it is sometimes difficult to stop such discussions from spiralling into petty squabbles and disrespect. I'm sure most of you have seen this sort of thing happen on other forums.

Whilst it is perfectly acceptable to discuss the merits, or otherwise of particular episodes in a constructive and inclusive way, thereby taking on board and respecting each others views and opinions, it's quite another thing to rip into season two with the sole aim of splitting apart any Space 1999 fandom. In my view this will only serve to alienate those members who strongly prefer one season over another.

I think everyone on this forum is aware of the totally different nature of seasons one and two, and we all have our prefered season, but I would like to think that those who prefer season 2 would not want to start a thread mocking season one. At the end of the day we are all on this forum for one reason, we love Space 1999 warts and all, so I would suggest we stick with the suggestion of using threads to discuss the merits/demerits of each episode.

Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CHAS1999 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:13 am

I always loved Y1 and Y2 the same. But now that i am older i seem to like Y1 just a hair bit more.

CHAS1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:55 pm

Commander Koenig wrote:At the end of the day we are all on this forum for one reason, we love Space 1999 warts and all, so I would suggest we stick with the suggestion of using threads to discuss the merits/demerits of each episode.

Excellently said.
s99fan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by blondgod on Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:56 am

As a longtime fan, I've seen Y2 mocked. And mocked really well by the most cynical and jaded. I love both years. I can see the cheese in both Y1 and Y2. But I love it all. If you think you have something original and particularly hilarious to add...
blondgod

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan on Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:34 pm

s99fan wrote:
Commander Koenig wrote:At the end of the day we are all on this forum for one reason, we love Space 1999 warts and all, so I would suggest we stick with the suggestion of using threads to discuss the merits/demerits of each episode.

Excellently said.

I'll second that. Points pro and con can be fairly contributed to episode discussions, without having to deliberately mock an entire season which is loved and respected by lots of our fellow fans. There is much to critique in Year Two, and I'm sure it will all come up in episode review threads, as we already are doing for both seasons. In fact, I hope more people jump into these discussions and contribute their thoughts (positive and negative) to episodes of both Years.
CalgaryAlphan

View user profile http://www.destinationmoonbasealpha.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig on Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:04 pm

CalgaryAlphan wrote:I'll second that. Points pro and con can be fairly contributed to episode discussions, without having to deliberately mock an entire season which is loved and respected by lots of our fellow fans. There is much to critique in Year Two, and I'm sure it will all come up in episode review threads, as we already are doing for both seasons. In fact, I hope more people jump into these discussions and contribute their thoughts (positive and negative) to episodes of both Years.
I started looking at a couple of discussion sites, namely Space 1999.net Metaforms Episode by Episode Analysis and Nitcentral's Bulletin Reflections, and there they discussed each episode in turn, coming up with some really interesting points. I thought it would be a good idea to do the same thing with this forum, and give everyone a chance to give their views and opinions, both good and bad, on each episode. I've been trying to get some of my synopsis on second season episodes done for the website so I haven't had a chance to watch season one episodes for a while. I will be looking at A Matter of Life and Death over the next couple of days and hope to come up with some views for the discussion thread.

Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Greel on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:30 am

Commander Koenig wrote:1 - ... it's quite another thing to rip into season two with the sole aim of splitting apart any Space 1999 fandom.

2 - ...so I would suggest we stick with the suggestion of using threads to discuss the merits/demerits of each episode.

1 - Well, that would be a silly thing to waste one's time trying to do. Not only is that not my "sole aim", but it's something that it would never occur to me to do. I'm not combative. I really can't take arguments.

2 - If there's already a thread on an episode, I'll comment there.

Actually all this is helpful. I know better whom I'm speaking to now, and the tone of the board. Who wants to alienate people? I know better now how not to do that here. Also, if people can make intelligent remarks defending y2 episodes, that could be interesting, since I'm not sure how one would do that at this point. I'll have to watch Metamorph and go over the comments already posted.

Mocking cheers me up though, and I need cheering up.

Last edited by Magnus Greel on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : had another thought)
Magnus Greel

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Greel on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:54 am

Actually all this is helpful. I know better whom I'm speaking to now, and the tone of the board. Who wants to alienate people? I know better now how not to do that here. Also, if people can make intelligent remarks defending y2 episodes, that could be interesting, since I'm not sure how one would do that at this point. I'll have to watch Metamorph and go over the comments already posted.

Mocking cheers me up though, and I need cheering up.

Good thing I copied this wording when trying to add it to the above post, so I could paste it here. The board isn't letting me amend posts or edit.
Magnus Greel

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:07 am

Magnus Greel wrote: Who wants to alienate people? I know better now how not to do that here...Mocking cheers me up though, and I need cheering up.

Good thing I copied this wording when trying to add it to the above post, so I could paste it here. The board isn't letting me amend posts or edit.
Sorry you're having trouble with the edit/amend function. Still finding my way around the technicalities of forum hosting, will look into it.

As someone once said "We're all aliens till we get to know each other..." alien
PS. I need cheering up as well. Weather today has been absolutely horrible...windy, rainy, dark...yuk, I wish I was an animal so I could hibernate for the winter. Sleep

Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnus Greel on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:51 am

Dark cloudy weather is my friend, because of a monumentally nasty light hypersensitivity. I always liked it anyway though.... I wonder what the weather's like in La Manche... I saw a couple episodes of Bergerac in the middle of the night 20 years ago, couldn't glean much info from that.

I'm off topic now. You're supposed to punish me for that-- I'll try to do better though. My brain is chaotic.
Magnus Greel

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:16 am

Magnus Greel wrote:Dark cloudy weather is my friend, because of a monumentally nasty light hypersensitivity. I always liked it anyway though.... I wonder what the weather's like in La Manche... I saw a couple episodes of Bergerac in the middle of the night 20 years ago, couldn't glean much info from that.

I'm off topic now. You're supposed to punish me for that-- I'll try to do better though. My brain is chaotic.
I quite like the darker evenings but hate the dark mornings. The alarm goes off at 7 am and it looks like it's still the middle of the night yuk.

Bergerac, ha, yes, well. It helped make Jersey more popular in a way but if you believed all the stories then there was at least one murder every day of the week. Fortunately Jersey hasn't quite reached those epic proportions, it's a fairly low crime place to live. I will always remember one strange legacy of Bergerac. I went to visit a friend in New Zealand in 1981, walked up to show my passport at immigration control, the guy took one look at the cover and said "Oh Jersey. That's where Bergerac's from isn't it!"

I'll resist the temptation to punish you Magnus as you seem like a nice person Laughing Actually you've just given me an idea for another topic. scratch

Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach34 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:18 pm

My take is probably what the majority of fans is:

When I was a kid and the show was in first run in Canada and the U.S. I preferred Y2.
As an adult I prefer Y1.

I see this trend furthered in my own family. My older brother shares my opinion. Also, my kids prefer Y2 and my nephews prefer Y2.

Y2 is definitely more action oriented and as a boy I really enjoyed that, plus the humor and easy camaraderie that was portrayed. I also liked the "we're in control of our own destiny" theme over Y1's "cork in the ocean theme" (or at least that's what it appeared to be on the surface).

As an adult, I can see the full depth of Y1 and the potential of the series had it continued with that theme and cast.

With the passage of over 30 years it is my opinion that Y1 stands up better today than Y2. Stories, sets, and overall production values are just better in Y1.

Just my opinion.

Coach34

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:08 am

Coach34 wrote:Just my opinion.

And a very excellent one.
s99fan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SPACE 1899 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:55 am

Coach34 wrote:When I was a kid I preferred Y2. As an adult I prefer Y1.
Interesting observation. Also, besides the often slower pace and limited use of colour in Year 1, I notice that a lot of the Year 1 episodes have deep 'adult' philosophical musings at the end wheras the Year 2 episodes often have jovial banter at the end, which was more appealing to a younger audience.
SPACE 1899

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Gerard on Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:35 pm

SPACE 1899 wrote:
Interesting observation. Also, besides the often slower pace and limited use of colour in Year 1, I notice that a lot of the Year 1 episodes have deep 'adult' philosophical musings at the end wheras the Year 2 episodes often have jovial banter at the end, which was more appealing to a younger audience.

Well done, that about sums up Space:1999 Year 1 vs. Year 2. Shocked
Steve Gerard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SPACE 1899 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:25 pm

Steve Gerard wrote:Well done, that about sums up Space:1999 Year 1 vs. Year 2.
Yep - John and Helena seriously discussing the meaning of life and death versus Tony trying to get the crew to sample his latest brew - as a kid, Tony was a clear winner Laughing
SPACE 1899

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cmdrkoenig67 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:12 am

I have to say, the music worked to make Year 2 annoying for me (along with the "monster of the week" and the end nearly every episode on a light note). I preferred the more Orchestral sound of Barry's y1 score. The Year 2 soundtrack just sounds horribly dated to me.
cmdrkoenig67

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan on Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:32 am

Absolutely, on all counts. Whether or not you are an aficionado of classical orchestral music, it is essentially timeless. That awful, monotonous, driving music of series two reinforces the origin of the 1970's. The 'monster of the week' does nothing but dumb the stories (several of which are quite good, I feel) to children's shows of the same era. My partner collects DVD's of those same shows (we are working our way through 'Land of the Lost') and I keep expecting one of the plastic things to transform into Maya.
s99fan
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CHAS1999 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:10 pm

I still love the music of Y2.

CHAS1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SPACE 1899 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:51 am

CHAS1999 wrote:I still love the music of Y2.
Me too - especially 'New Adam New Eve' - so beautiful it brings tears to the eyes...
SPACE 1899

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top