SPACE: 1999
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martin Landau

+3
cmdrkoenig67
Andrew Kearley
Commander Koenig
7 posters

Go down

Martin Landau Empty Martin Landau

Post by Commander Koenig Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:08 am

Since renewing my interest in Space 1999 I have also become interested in a few of Martin Landau's other films and TV appearance. Around the time I bought the Season One Dvd's from Network I also bought Mission Impossible Seasons 1, 2 and 3. I vaguely recall MI from many years ago but since I knew Martin Landau was in it, well I just had to have those Dvds. The theme tune is one of the most iconic themes ever I think, instantly recognisable. I read recently that Martin Landau was approached to do a cameo in MI: 4 but isn't keen. I can see why, after being such a mainstay of the original show, it would surely be a come-down to put in a cameo appearance.

Miranda is a great fan of Cleopatra and is heading up a campaign to get the movie released in its full version as a lot of the film was cut. I've recently got a copy of the Dvd and it is a stunning film, truly worthy of restoration. Some noteworthy performances from Rex Harriosn, Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton and of course Martin Landau.
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

https://space1999.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Martin Landau Empty Re: Martin Landau

Post by Andrew Kearley Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:05 am

I'm lucky really, in that Landau is one of my favourite actors, and has a starring role in two of my favourite series, Space: 1999 and Mission: Impossible. He's certainly a very versatile actor. The part of Rollin Hand in Mission allowed him to effectively play a different character every week, and what's interesting is how he can switch between very flashy, flamboyant, stagey performances, to something subtle and introverted. He trained in the Method, of course. He's phenomenally good as Commander Koenig, fantastically ahead of his time in terms of how leading men in sci-fi series were portrayed in the mid-70s. I'm also fascinated by the things he does with his hands.

In terms of his not wanting the cameo in MI4, I'd prefer to think that he simply isn't interested in a series of movies that do nothing to honour or respect the show whose name they've appropriated.
Andrew Kearley
Andrew Kearley

http://www.eyespider.freeserve.co.uk/space/content.html

Back to top Go down

Post by cmdrkoenig67 Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:52 am

I recently got seasons 1-3 of Mission Impossible too...I have been thoroughly enjoying Martin and Barbara in this series.

Dana
cmdrkoenig67
cmdrkoenig67

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:13 pm

cmdrkoenig67 wrote:I recently got seasons 1-3 of Mission Impossible too...I have been thoroughly enjoying Martin and Barbara in this series.

Dana

Welcome aboard Dana. Yes, Martin is quite delicious in Mission Impossible and in some of the episodes you can really see the chemistry between him and Barbara. I'm especially thinking of the episode 'A Spool There Was', loved that episode.
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Senmut Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:00 am

He was also very good as the slimey, malodious Leonard, in Hitchcock's North By Northwest, opposite Cary Grant, and James Mason.
Senmut
Senmut

Back to top Go down

Martin Landau Empty North By Northwest

Post by Commander Koenig Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:55 am

Senmut wrote:He was also very good as the slimey, malodious Leonard, in Hitchcock's North By Northwest, opposite Cary Grant, and James Mason.

I see that Warner Home Video are releasing a 50th anniversary edition of North By Northwest, so that'll definitely be on my Christmas wish-list! I remember seeing the film a long time ago, before my interest in Martin Landau so I will be interested to watch it again. Link to article in the Los Angeles Times dated today http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-northwest2-2009nov02,0,4792391.story for full story
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SPACE 1899 Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:13 pm

Martin Landau is a fine actor and was superb in his role as John Koenig in Space 1999 (and played it with such belief, dedication and seriousness).

I was thrilled to see him appear in the first X Files movie as well - it was like a kind of tribute to his contribution to the history of science fiction decades before X Files.
SPACE 1899
SPACE 1899

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:46 pm

Commander Koenig wrote: I can see why, after being such a mainstay of the original show, it would surely be a come-down to put in a cameo appearance.

From interviews I have heard, a cameo role did not offend ML in the least, it was the absolute bastadization of the intent behind the original MI, that of a team, as opposed to being the glorified 'Tom Cruise' show.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Senmut Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:53 pm

GO, ML!!!!!!
Senmut
Senmut

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:13 am

s99fan wrote:
From interviews I have heard, a cameo role did not offend ML in the least, it was the absolute bastadization of the intent behind the original MI, that of a team, as opposed to being the glorified 'Tom Cruise' show.
Nice to see an actor who puts integrity before dollars.
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:37 am

True, and I also suspect it helps if you have a lot of dollars to begin with.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Martin Landau Empty landau is awesome actor

Post by Blondie6 Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:10 pm

I has also recently bought the megaset of episodes and I really enjoying revisting some episodes and many I have never seen (I was too young to direct the tv viewing in my house!) As a huge fan of Landau, i suggest watching the ultra classic outer limits episode of "The man who was never born." This beauty and the beast story outer limits style is beautifully shot by the great cinematographer Conrad Hall. But it is Martin's performance that is truely incredible. Check out the scene where he mimes the money exchange with the innkeeper. The hand gestures and the extreme closeup to die for! Those blue eyes cut through even in B/W.....

He's also great as the bad guy in Nevada Smith with his acting buddy and friend Steve McQueen.

Blondie6

Back to top Go down

Post by cowofzot Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:20 pm

Read a rumor long a go martin was considered as Nimoy's replacement for season 3 of TOS when Nimoy demanded more dough. Anyone know more about this?

cowofzot

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:06 am

Rumor.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content