SPACE: 1999
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Space 1999 Novelisations

5 posters

Go down

Space 1999 Novelisations Empty Space 1999 Novelisations

Post by Commander Koenig Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:35 am

I've seen a lot about the Space 1999 novelisations and would be interested in reading some of them. Can anyone suggest the best ones and where I might get them from?
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

https://space1999.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Space 1999 Novelisations Empty Re: Space 1999 Novelisations

Post by Andrew Kearley Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:53 pm

I've got the full set of original Series one novelizations - including the four original novels and Earthfall. I bought them in secondhand bookshops and market stalls around a decade ago (apart from Phoenix of Megaron which was never published in Britain - I had to get it from Ebay.)
Andrew Kearley
Andrew Kearley

http://www.eyespider.freeserve.co.uk/space/content.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:57 pm

Which ones would you recommend Andrew. I see them pop up on Ebay from time to time but never quite sure which ones I should go for.
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

https://space1999.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Kearley Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:37 pm

Well, it depends what you're looking for really. The novelizations don't add anything much to the episodes themselves - sometimes, they seem to be based on earlier draft scripts, so some things are subtly different. The authors also try to tie their three or four episodes together into a more cohesive narrative for the book, with differing results.

The most interesting book for me though was EC Tubb's Earthfall - it's a complete retelling of Space: 1999, starting with an alternative version of Breakaway, and then going on to tell the Alphan's whole journey including their final destination twenty odd years later - interesting twist at the end. Some nice ideas there, especially in the characterizations - the way that Koenig and his security chief keep order on the base for instance. So something different in that regard. It's almost as if it's the novelization for an epic Space: 1999 movie that never was...
Andrew Kearley
Andrew Kearley

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:53 pm

Earthfall has a very interesting premise, but the characterizations are absolute dreck. Helena drugging Koenig to essentially rape him to become pregnant? That is an utter bastardization of a character who was portrayed as a strong, capable woman of authority. I would be interesting to see the plot handled by an author who can actually write characters, and female characters in particular. John Kenneth Muir, author of 'The Forsaken', comes to ready mind.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Kearley Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:24 pm

Ah well, it's been a long time since I read it...! What most interested me was the fact that it was a completely alternative take on the whole concept.
Andrew Kearley
Andrew Kearley

Back to top Go down

Post by SPACE 1899 Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:08 am

Regarding where to get them - thank goodness for the internet - I obtained all of mine, plus comics from a combination of ebay,amazon and abebooks. Beats trekking round secondhand bookshops and markets any day.

I'm currently reading through the novels and have reached around half way through the Year 2 novels so far.
Favourite novel so far - EC Tubbs recent Earthfall book, because of the interesting different take on the Breakaway story - including themes of mutiny and childbearing...

My best bargain regarding the novels was obtaining the hardback Year 2 omnibus recently for a mere £29.99 on ebay ! This book also includes novelisation of the Taybor which wasn't included in the previous Year 2 novels.
SPACE 1899
SPACE 1899

Back to top Go down

Post by LeeRain Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:45 pm

who can actually write characters, and female characters in particular ?

LeeRain

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:20 pm

LeeRain wrote:who can actually write characters, and female characters in particular ?

This comment is so ludicrous that I can only presume you are making funny. Many authors create excellent characters, and many authors, male and female both, create excellent female characters in particular. For an obvious answer that anyone alive will recognize, may I put forth J.K. Rowling? Hermione is a strong, well-rounded, female, character. And as I stated in a prior answer, John Kenneth Muir is an author established in the Space:1999 Powys universe who writes well, and that includes the female characters.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down