SPACE: 1999
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Taybor

5 posters

Go down

The Taybor Empty The Taybor

Post by Magnus Greel Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Man oh man, this episode is ball-squeezingly good. Which is to say, not very. It's another stray Lost in Space episode. Didn't they have an interstellar trader episode? Still, there's some inexplicable greatness buried within Sp99 that makes even an episode like this one watchable for me. Some shows are like that. Even the worst stories draw me to them, even while I'm cursing myself for it. Earth: Final Conflict was like that.

His ship has flames painted on the lower bits of it, as if it's a hot rod. When I heard Taybor going into his life story, I pictured Ted Baxter saying "It all started in a 5000 watt radio station in Fresno California..."

They really ought to get all their alien threats drunk as they did here. It worked for Scotty.... The Taybor recovers fairly rapidly from Maya's "grasp"... good for him. You're a better lech than I am Gunga Din.... strange that this didn't dissuade him from his later plans for her!

Thanks so much Helena, for informing us that the Taybor can't answer further questions 'cause he's unconscious.... that's why she gets the big space bucks.

Koenig offered him Moonbase Alpha! Way to give away the home world, John!

On Alpha, they can make perfect-looking androids? And it's Helena who does this work? She's been hiding her cybernetic light under a bushel, apparently. This is approximately as nuts as Dr. Crusher on Next Gen treating Data, which she would do.

The day is saved by making use of a "Limpet Transmitter"-- was it originally designed to communicate with the Incredible Mr. Limpet? Sorry to all those who were born within living memory... they made a movie in the 60s about a talking fish called Mr. Limpet (voiced by Don Knotts). I am nothing if not anachronistic.
Magnus Greel
Magnus Greel

http://visualdevice.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The Taybor Empty Re: The Taybor

Post by s99fan Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:07 am

I find this episode to be worse, infinitely worse, than the much-maligned 'All That Glisters'. I watched it once upon receiving my series two DVDs, trusting that the recollection of how utterly stupid the story was to my fading memory over the years, only to discover it was much, much worse. I have never again accessed this episode on the DVD. Given how very few fanfic stories ever reference this plot, there must be many who agree with this summation.

Can even a series two apologist redeem this particular effort?
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SPACE 1899 Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:15 am

Yes - but when all is said and done - this episode is well worth watching purely for the sight of the lovely Yasko and her bosai tree (sigh) The Taybor Icon_biggrin
SPACE 1899
SPACE 1899

Back to top Go down

Post by CHAS1999 Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:52 am

This episode is pure eye candy with bright punchy colors on my Pioneer Kuro plasma. Seems Y2 episodes were done better than Y1 on my DVD's.

Last edited by CHAS1999 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : reworded)

CHAS1999

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:55 pm

It is true the original Carlton and A&E sets show series two to be cleaner and brighter than series one. I have read in Wiley's Catacombs that it had to do with the film used. However, the remastered Network set of series one is the finest current rendition of Space: 1999 episodes period. The stills from series one in the Catacombs are from the Network set if you would like to see the dramatic improvement.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:52 am

s99fan wrote:It is true the original Carlton and A&E sets show series two to be cleaner and brighter than series one. I have read in Wiley's Catacombs that it had to do with the film used. However, the remastered Network set of series one is the finest current rendition of Space: 1999 episodes period. The stills from series one in the Catacombs are from the Network set if you would like to see the dramatic improvement.
I agree, the Network DVDs of season 1 are superb quality, with clear, crisp colour. The Carlton, whilst perfectly adequate, are nowhere near as crisp and clear as Networks. I really hope Network get around to releasing season 2 as I will definitly buy them even though I already have the Carlton set.
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

https://space1999.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CHAS1999 Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:49 pm

Anyway i can buy the better Y1 DVD's? And will they play in my DVD player in the U.S.A?

CHAS1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:06 am

CHAS1999 wrote:Anyway i can buy the better Y1 DVD's? And will they play in my DVD player in the U.S.A?
The Year One Dvd's from Network are Region 2: Europe format so I don't think they will play in DVD players in the USA unless your player is a multi region player which can take Region 2. My player only plays Region 2, but when I get another one I would like to get a multi region one so that I can play Region 1 Dvds too as I have seen lots of Dvds I want but they are Region 1 so I can't play them at present.
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CHAS1999 Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:28 am

I think there is a way to hack most any DVD player so it can play any region. I would kill to get the better Y1 DVD's.

CHAS1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:04 am

CHAS1999 wrote:I think there is a way to hack most any DVD player so it can play any region. I would kill to get the better Y1 DVD's.
You're right, I think I read somewhere that there is a way to tweek DVD players so they play any region dvd's. I just wish that they made all DVDs playable on any player, would solve a lot of problems.
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum