SPACE: 1999
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Star Trek Movie

4 posters

Go down

Star Trek Movie Empty Star Trek Movie

Post by Commander Koenig Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:03 am

Got the new Star Trek movie DVD for Christmas, and on first viewing, it is superb. Has anyone else seen it?

I think it's a wonderful idea to do a prequel, great to find out how the 'team' came together, and of course it opens up many new possibilities for future movies. I was blown away by how similar the actor who plays Spock is to the Spock we know and love, I can really 'see' the young Mr Spock in him. Great casting.
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

https://space1999.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Star Trek Movie Empty Re: Star Trek Movie

Post by s99fan Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:07 am

I also enjoyed the film greatly, although I was well prepared to dislike it when my partner coerced me into going. It is a well done film with strong acting that, for the most part, pays respect to the original characters. Having Leonard Nimoy come out of retirement to play Spock was a moment of brilliance that rewarded the viewer and gave this new series a 'canon' blessing. Despite all the petty comments I have seen on other Boards, I am prepared to see the next film of this series, and it will not take any coercion to do so.

I will say, that of all the sets, I did dislike the Enterprise engineering one. IMO, it is the only one that felt out of character.

Did you see the tribble on Scotty's desk in his 'office' on the ice planet? I heard it before I saw it, and had the best guffaw of the movie at its sly presence.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:30 am

s99fan wrote:I will say, that of all the sets, I did dislike the Enterprise engineering one. IMO, it is the only one that felt out of character.

Did you see the tribble on Scotty's desk in his 'office' on the ice planet? I heard it before I saw it, and had the best guffaw of the movie at its sly presence.

I've only watched the film once but will be watching again and again I'm sure as I'm a great ST fan, especially the original series and Spock. Will have to have another look at the engineering set. I didn't notice thr tribble on Scotty's desk, ah, will have to look out for that also. You always see so much more on subsequent viewings.
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cmdrkoenig67 Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:31 pm

I also really enjoyed the film. I'm not a very big fan of Trek, but I've watched and enjoyed various incarnations over the years. I enjoyed Next Generation, because it reminded me a bit of Space:1999. ST: Voyager tended to remind me of Space again and I enjoyed that series too.

The film takes place (as mentioned twice in the film) in another timeline, split off from the original...So it doesn't bother me, that events are different (like it does many hardcore Trek fans).

The

Dana
cmdrkoenig67
cmdrkoenig67

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:21 am

s99fan wrote:Having Leonard Nimoy come out of retirement to play Spock was a moment of brilliance that rewarded the viewer and gave this new series a 'canon' blessing....

I will say, that of all the sets, I did dislike the Enterprise engineering one. IMO, it is the only one that felt out of character.

I watched the film again over the weekend and enjoyed it so much more the second time around, as happens with a lot of things. I agree with you about the engineering set, it could have been so much better. Perhaps they ran out of budget! Yes, I did see the tribble on Scottie's desk, or should I say I heard it first. What a wonderful little touch that was.

Interesting that the writers brought in the love interest between Spock and Uhura. I wonder whose idea that was, and whether this will be pursued in further films.
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:32 am

Commander Koenig wrote:Interesting that the writers brought in the love interest between Spock and Uhura. I wonder whose idea that was, and whether this will be pursued in further films.

That was interesting, I agree. My partner is the Star Trek fan and points out that there is basis in canon for this relationship:

Star Trek Movie 800px-Spock_and_Uhura_make_music

The interest appears to be there. That is not an entirely platonic look she is directing toward Spock. I know others have protested this development in the new movie, but I find it an interesting twist and look forward to see how it is handled. It is to be hoped, in good taste.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:41 am

Interesting photo from the original Star Trek episodes S99, and your partner has a point although I always read Uhura's 'interest' in Spock to be one of admiration and comradeship rather than anything more.

I actually liked the way the film handled the relationship, at least it was done in a tasteful and 'logical' way and the writers didn't feel the need to show them 'doing the business' Wink as many other writers/directors may have been tempted to do. I've just bought Year 2 of the re-mastered original Trek and am enjoying watching the episodes again, though I'll never look at Spock and Uhura in quite the same way!
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Senmut Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:52 pm

Personally, I thought it sucked, despite good performances by some great actors. Ben Cross was terrific as Sarek, for example. But did anyone ever look at the original ship? It looked like something out of DS9 with some color touches. And the thing with Spock/Uhura was both abrupt and gratuitous. That, and her over-the-top "I'm so sorry" bit, with the bobbing head. Reminded me of a spring-loaded dog in the back window of a car.
Senmut
Senmut

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:50 pm

Each is certainly entitled to his opinion, however I am grateful that you are in the distinct minority. The sequel is underway and I, for one, anticipate its arrival.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Senmut Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:09 pm

Of course. I don't mind being the disloyal opposition.
It is lonely, being right!
Senmut
Senmut

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:03 pm

Be the loyal opposition. It's less obnoxious.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down