SPACE: 1999
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

“I think Tony would be very happy…”

5 posters

Go down

“I think Tony would be very happy…” Empty “I think Tony would be very happy…”

Post by Senmut Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:02 pm

“I think Tony would be very happy…”

Takes place immediately after the conclusion of Dragon’s Domain.
====================

“I think Tony would be very happy, to know he put new life into an old myth,” said John Koenig, as he looked over Helen’s report on the hideous end of former Ultra Probe commander, and friend, Tony Cellini. “He certainly deserves it, after an end like that.”

“And the way I treated him,” added Helena, looking down at the floor briefly before again meeting his eyes. “You were right all along. He was right.”

“At least that hideous thing is dead, Helena. It can’t hurt anyone else.”

“Can we be sure, though?” she asked. “Our instruments…”

“Its eye went dark when I chopped it with the hatchet, it melted into a pile of steaming crud all over the floor. If that’s not dead, I don’t know what would be, Helena. That’s why…”

Beep.

“Commander Koenig,” came Paul Morrow’s voice. Koenig activated his commlock.

“Yes, Paul?”

“Ultra Probe ship responding, Commander. She’s separated from the alien vessel, and is on the way towards Alpha.”

“All automatic systems still functioning?”

“Yes, Commander. Her engines powered right up with no trouble. Telemetry shows all systems nominal. We also recovered the separated Eagle, Commander.”

“Excellent, Paul. ETA probe ship?”

“Two hours, Commander.”

“Good. Keep me advised.”

“John,” said Helena, as she slipped her final report on Cellini and the Ultra Probe into the file, “are you sure we’re not taking a terrible risk? I mean, if, by some measure, the monster isn’t dead, we could all be at risk.”

“Helena, we need the resources aboard the probe ship. Fuel, electronic parts, equipment from ship’s stores. All made on Earth and all compatible with our systems. It’s a bounty we cannot afford to ignore. That, and if you are right, at least no other hapless explorers will come along, and run into that thing.” He saw that she was holding her peace, waiting for him to finish. “Besides, once she was free of the alien ship, Paul sent a command for her to open her airlocks to space. Even the Eagle command module. That thing needed air as much as we do, Helena. Given all the facts to hand, I’m convinced that the benefits outweigh the potential risks.”

“All I can say is that I hope you’re right. After all,” she indicated her work station, “I don’t want to have to write up another report.”

“Spoken like a true doctor, Doctor.”

The Ultra Probe ship slipped into lunar orbit as programmed, and Koenig, with a team in spacesuits, went aboard to assess the ship for cannibalization. The desiccated sludge that was all that remained of the monster was taken for examination, and to Koenig’s surprise, the remains of all four victims of the hideous creature were still aboard, despite the decompression of the ship. After so long a time, Drs. Monique Boucher, Juliet Mackie, and Darwin King, now joined by their one-time mission commander, could finally be laid to rest, in a fashion befitting the respect in which their friends and colleagues had held them.

Several days later, with the now-grounded probe ship as a backdrop against the vastness of Plato Crater, Koenig, Victor, Helena, and a score of others, in space suits, made their eulogies and said their personal goodbyes, or listened respectfully, as the caskets were lowered into the lunar soil. Security Chief Verdeschi, a distant relative, and Cellini’s only kin on Alpha, gave a moving eulogy, quoting from some of Cellini's poetry, followed by Koenig, and final prayers from the chaplain. When all was done, and everyone had climbed into the Moon Buggies for the trip back to Alpha, Koenig held back a moment. Standing over the steel marker inscribed with Cellini’s name, he touched the metal, looked up at the probe ship, then back down at the grave.

“Good bye, Tony,” he said, almost too softly even for himself to hear. “Good bye.”
Senmut
Senmut

Back to top Go down

“I think Tony would be very happy…” Empty Re: “I think Tony would be very happy…”

Post by CalgaryAlphan Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:22 pm

Wow - that is an absolutely fantastic piece of short 1999 fiction - very well done!
You've got the characters spot on, you've smoothly introduced Verdeschi, and - as they should have done in the show - the return of the Ultra Probe and the separated Eagle to Moonbase Alpha is a realistic and very welcome addition.
Your ending fits perfectly with the episode itself. Again - very well done!
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

http://www.destinationmoonbasealpha.net

Back to top Go down

“I think Tony would be very happy…” Empty Re: “I think Tony would be very happy…”

Post by Senmut Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:39 pm

Multum gratium.
Senmut
Senmut

Back to top Go down

Post by Chip Bell Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:20 pm

I've read this story before it's one of the better pieces. I really like the idea of salvaging the probe ship. I would have liked to see that in the show. They did salvage the ship in space warp using a refueling eagle as a tug, even though it's year two it's one of my favorites.

Chip Bell

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:27 pm

Chip Bell wrote: They did salvage the ship in space warp using a refueling eagle as a tug, even though it's year two it's one of my favorites.

My knowledge of series two is admittedly limited, but where in Space Warp was it ever demonstrated that the Alphans salvaged the alien spacecraft? Or do you reference the Eagle Koenig and Verdeschi were traveling within?
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chip Bell Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:51 pm

They towed it back

Chip Bell

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:20 pm

But was it ever seen on the moon or parts of it in Alpha? What proof is there that the Alphans did more than use the alien ship as a booster to get through the space warp?
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chip Bell Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:22 pm

They got through the warp, were met by a refueling eagle and after refueling Konigs eagle the refueling eagle towed the ship back to alpha
the only thing I can think of as far as parts was a small viewing device that the ship had on board. It was seen in other episodes mounted in eagles

Chip Bell

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:25 am

Chip Bell wrote:They got through the warp, were met by a refueling eagle and after refueling Konigs eagle the refueling eagle towed the ship back to alpha
As much as I agree with the premise and the plausibility, again I ask, what on-screen proof do we have of this? What image, or what piece of dialog?

...the only thing I can think of as far as parts was a small viewing device that the ship had on board. It was seen in other episodes mounted in eagles

Please provide images; I would like to confirm this as it would support the logical theory that the Alphans had to be productive opportunistic scavengers to survive.

Do you know the technique to link in images to this board? If not, I can direct you though the steps. Martin Wiley's The Catacombs is a comprehensive site with copious images arranged chronologically for each episode: http://www.space1999.net/catacombs/
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chip Bell Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:16 am

best I can offer you there is to get a set of dvd's and watch the show for your self.

Chip Bell

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:25 am

Pah. I have a copy of every dvd set from around the world, a complete set of LD, and VHS. I have admitted to not particularly favoring or knowing in depth the second series, but unlike others I do consider it canon. You put forth a statement without documentation. Be prepared to support your statements or do not make them.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chip Bell Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:24 pm

I'm here to enjoy my self and what I said is the way the show went
If you don't like that keep it do your self I don't have to prove shit to you.

Chip Bell

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:58 pm

Temper, temper. There is no reason to debase the forum with profanity. Expect questions if claims are made that are not readily evident.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Senmut Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:49 pm

Profanity?
Hell no, we'd never have any of that damned profanity in here. Hell no!

bounce
Senmut
Senmut

Back to top Go down

Post by Chip Bell Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:19 pm

Fine you watch how you talk to me and you won't get any profanity
Better you you stay the hell away from me period I got nothing to say to you.

Chip Bell

Back to top Go down

Post by Senmut Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:10 am

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! Laughing

Siriusly...anyone else have any short Spce fics? C'mon. Lesse! bounce
Senmut
Senmut

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:19 am

Senmut wrote:Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! Laughing

'Grrrrrr' indeed. It's rather like being yapped at by a small, noisy Pekingese, and about as intimidating.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:13 am

Play nicely please children.
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

https://space1999.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:22 am

Yes, ma'am.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:55 am

s99fan wrote:Yes, ma'am.
Cheeky Wink
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:12 am

But, very polite cheeky. Smile
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:16 am

s99fan wrote:But, very polite cheeky. Smile
Very, very polite cheeky. Laughing
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Senmut Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:16 pm

s99fan wrote:
Senmut wrote:Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! Laughing

'Grrrrrr' indeed. It's rather like being yapped at by a small, noisy Pekingese, and about as intimidating.

Wouldn't that be a "Beijingese", these days??? Twisted Evil
Senmut
Senmut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down