SPACE: 1999
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book

+9
CHAS1999
SPACE 1899
Steve Gerard
mcgun106
cmdrkoenig67
s99fan
Commander Koenig
Andrew Kearley
CalgaryAlphan
13 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

"Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book - Page 5 Empty Re: "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book

Post by CalgaryAlphan Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:33 am

s99fan wrote:That makes more sense. Was this outlined in the book, and I missed it?

So, if I make a series two (7.5) equal a series one (5) and extrapolate from there, all is well again.

No, it wasn't specified in the book (although I have a feeling that I say something about judging each year on its own merits, but I'm not sure if that made it through the editing period, or not). I think if I had spelled it out, it would have seemed rather directly insulting to Year Two, and I certainly didn't mean to do that.

We have a lot of Year Two fans amongst us, and I wanted the book to treat that season fairly, on its own merits, and with respect. And I hope I did so.

CalgaryAlphan

http://www.destinationmoonbasealpha.net

Back to top Go down

"Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book - Page 5 Empty Re: "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book

Post by s99fan Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:11 am

CalgaryAlphan wrote: I think if I had spelled it out, it would have seemed rather directly insulting to Year Two, and I certainly didn't mean to do that.

Year Two: New producer, new writers, new costumes, new sets, new music, new main characters, new personalities for few remaining main characters. You could argue only Alan Carter and his Eagles had any vestige of their old selves left. Pointing that out in a factual manner and then stating you were only comparing each series internally would be no insult. It would be fair to each series. I put forth that by not 'directly insulting' fans of the second series, you unintentionally insult series one aficionados.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:59 am

s99fan wrote:
CalgaryAlphan wrote: I think if I had spelled it out, it would have seemed rather directly insulting to Year Two, and I certainly didn't mean to do that.

Year Two: New producer, new writers, new costumes, new sets, new music, new main characters, new personalities for few remaining main characters. You could argue only Alan Carter and his Eagles had any vestige of their old selves left. Pointing that out in a factual manner and then stating you were only comparing each series internally would be no insult. It would be fair to each series. I put forth that by not 'directly insulting' fans of the second series, you unintentionally insult series one aficionados.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree. If I had compared Year Two directly against Year One, it would have resulted in Year Two rating far lower. Judged on its own merits, as its own entity, Year Two rates rather well, as it does when compared against other sci-fi series. But I firmly believe that Year One is the finest example of television science fiction ever produced, and I think that comes across quite clearly in the book.

I wrote this book for all fans of Space: 1999.
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:19 pm

CalgaryAlphan wrote: But I firmly believe that Year One is the finest example of television science fiction ever produced....

Fully agree.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Gerard Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:26 am

I just finished reading DESTINATION MOONBASE:ALPHA by Robert E. Wood(CalgaryAlphan) it is an intimate look at the making of the TV series as told by first hand by those that actually worked on it. Simply brilliant, it is the best production book on the making of SPACE:1999 ever written. "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book - Page 5 Fresse "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book - Page 5 Icon_study
Steve Gerard
Steve Gerard

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:48 am

Robert, just finished reading your book and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had to laugh at the bloopers for The AB Chysalis where it mentioned Martin Landau lifting up his toupee during the blast procedure! I wasn't sure if he wore a hairpiece or not but now I know. I'll have to freeze frame that one Laughing
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

https://space1999.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:59 am

It is a very good book. I enjoyed reading it and will place it proudly in my Space:1999 library next to the Muir book and 'The Future is Fantastic!' and my growing Powys collection.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:26 pm

Thanks for the positive comments!

On another note - I am re-scheduled to appear on the Roger Noriega Show on Blog Talk Radio on Monday April 12. Details will follow, but if anyone wants to start thinking about questions to send in, feel free. And calls will also be taken during the show, so maybe some of you will phone in?
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:12 am

I've just added a few sentences of review from Martin Bower to the website. Here is a direct link:
http://www.destinationmoonbasealpha.net/page8/page8.html
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:23 pm

Robert, what is going on with availability? I have referred your book to two friends and they inform me it is no longer readily available. Amazon.uk and the Book Depository are out of stock, and even Telos is warning 'Please do not query non-receipt of orders until 28 working days'. I was under the perception Telos is print-on-demand, am I in error? Is this book being forcible withdrawn like the last?
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:27 pm

No - no problems at all. And nothing to worry about.

The book is NOT print-on-demand. Telos prints a run of a book, and when sales warrant it, they print another run of the book... and so on.

I know that we were on the verge of going into the next printing, and so that is a distinct possibility.

And the Telos line about not querying non-receipt until 28 working days is a standard line, I believe, that one always gets with Telos. I think it's actually a standard policy description on their website... so nothing to worry about there, either.

I'd advise putting an order in with Telos for the fastest service.
But if your friends are fine with waiting until Amazon or other sellers get stock in again, they can go that route as well.
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:42 am

Thank you. I will inform my friends of your words. In a way, this is good news, no? Your first run has sold out and now they must plan on a second? How many books does Telos print in a run?
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:13 am

Yes, it's very good news that the book is popular, and is selling well. The print run size varies depending upon the book title and how many copies Telos think they can sell (without being left with boxes and boxes of unsold books lying about!).
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Gerard Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:20 am

CalgaryAlphan Robert E. Wood your DESTINATION:MOONBASE ALPHA book is simply brilliant. I purchased two copies and extremely enjoyed reading this book from cover to cover. It is the best book ever published on the making of SPACE:1999. "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book - Page 5 Icon_smile
Steve Gerard
Steve Gerard

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:00 am

Robert, on the whole I enjoyed your interview on Blogtalk radio. You are very articulate and interesting to listen to— and this is from one who has English as a second language.

I completely understand why you left information out in your answers given the newness of the book, but the answers were frustrating and vague, exactly as you cited in your answer. As such, my partner gave over listening early on, and I must wonder if you lost others in the audience over this. I would enjoy an interview in the future where you can more clearly discuss the most interesting parts of your book without such evasion.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:22 am

well, I'm afraid I have to keep some things vague and not give away major "spoilers", considering many listeners have not yet read the book.

People can read the most interesting parts of the book... in the book.

I thought the show was fun, and it was very nice that they extended me to 2 hours.
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:25 am

Following up on suggestions from a couple of people (including Prentis Hancock), I am happy to report that the new printing of "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" includes a Table of Contents, which will make surfing through the book that much easier.

This new edition is now available for sale through the publisher at www.telos.co.uk .

And thanks to all who have bought the book - it's proving a challenge for Telos to keep in stock, which is a nice problem to have!
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Gerard Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:42 am

CalgaryAlphan (Robert), you researched and wrote the most impressive book ever published on the making of Space:1999. "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book - Page 5 Icon_cheers I purchased two copies myself. "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book - Page 5 Fresse One that I immediately read cover to cover and the other to save. Good idea addition of a table of contents "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book - Page 5 Icon_eek (Prentis Hancock is a brilliant actor and man "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book - Page 5 Icon_cool ).
Steve Gerard
Steve Gerard

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:47 pm

CalgaryAlphan wrote:- it's proving a challenge for Telos to keep in stock, which is a nice problem to have!

Congratulations. That is very a very grand accomplishment indeed for such a niche book.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

"Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book - Page 5 Empty Destination Moonbase Alpha Book

Post by Jack18 Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:46 am

hi

i have just ordered a copy of this book and i hope it will be a good companion book because i now have the Network DVD Set Of Space 1999 Series 1.

Andrew
Jack18
Jack18

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:49 am

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for ordering the book - I hope you will enjoy it, and look forward to hearing your comments!

Best,
Robert

www.destinationmoonbasealpha.net
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack18 Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:52 am

do i email you through your website or here on the forum

Andrew
Jack18
Jack18

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:57 am

You can post messages here on the forum if you'd like. It's always nice to have comments about my book online for others to see!
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack18 Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:58 am

Hi Robert

Ok

Andrew
Jack18
Jack18

Back to top Go down

"Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book - Page 5 Empty Destination Moonbase Alpha Book

Post by Jack18 Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:03 am

i now have my copy of the book and there are some very intersting things. have just read about Breakaway. what Martin Landau said about the globe in commander koenings office. Martin landau wanted it painted the same colour as the set. i tried to picture the globe in that set of commander koening's office and i would agree with Martin landau about having it painted the same colour. also read about the director Ray Austin having a few problems with Martin Landau whenever he would have to talk to one of the other characters he would walk around them thus being filmed on his right side. and also Barry Morse talking about the uniforms they had to wear you could tell he didn't like them. so far i am really enjoying reading the book.

Andrew "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book - Page 5 Icon_biggrin
Jack18
Jack18

Back to top Go down

Post by Coach34 Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Robert,

I just listened to your interview on NDB Radio. Very interesting and nicely done.

Thanks for using your abilities and interest in Space to keep the flame alive and give us all something new to renew our passion in Space. Books and projects like "Destination Moonbase Alpha" and "The Return of Victor Bergman" bring this fan community closer together and I wanted to thank you for that.

P.S. I will be ordering "Destination Moonbase Alpha" this fall...
Coach34
Coach34

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next