SPACE: 1999
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book

+9
CHAS1999
SPACE 1899
Steve Gerard
mcgun106
cmdrkoenig67
s99fan
Commander Koenig
Andrew Kearley
CalgaryAlphan
13 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

"Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book - Page 2 Empty Re: "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book

Post by s99fan Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:17 am

Very good news, Robert, although this must be very trying on you.

s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

"Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book - Page 2 Empty Re: "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book

Post by CalgaryAlphan Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:33 am

Delays happen... it's part of reality. Telos has been an absolutely wonderful publisher to work with, and the delays are understandable. Sure, a delay is disappointing. I'd like to have the book quickly, just like everyone else. But I'm very happy that the Index and photo section will be included - it will be worth the wait even more!
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

http://www.destinationmoonbasealpha.net

Back to top Go down

"Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book - Page 2 Empty CalgaryAlphan , it is worth the wait

Post by Steve Gerard Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:56 am

CalgaryAlphan wrote:Delays happen... it's part of reality. Telos has been an absolutely wonderful publisher to work with, and the delays are understandable. Sure, a delay is disappointing. I'd like to have the book quickly, just like everyone else. But I'm very happy that the Index and photo section will be included - it will be worth the wait even more!

Robert, I like the additions to be added by you. I will be buying your book in 2010. What a Face
Steve Gerard
Steve Gerard

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:31 am

I love the sound of the new additions to the book Robert. That's most definitely worth waiting for.
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

https://space1999.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:18 pm

The full final cover design for "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" is now available for viewing at my website - www.destinationmoonbasealpha.net

I think it looks fantastic!

More news will be coming ASAP...
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:25 am

More excellent literary news. Between this book and those to come soon from POWYS, it appears 2010 will indeed be the year we make contact, albeit not with Sir Arthur's mythos.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:07 am

Destination: Moonbase Alpha - The Unofficial and Unauthorised Guide to SPACE: 1999 is now in print!

Telos Publishing advises me that they have taken delivery of printed copies of the book. Customers who have pre-ordered via the Telos website will have their copies shipped very shortly. Copies will then go to other distributors (such as FABGearUSA) for wider circulation.
As soon as I have received my first copies I will let everyone know.

Anyone who would like more information on the book can visit my website at www.destinationmoonbasealpha.net .
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 am

Excellent news. I will await arrival in the States and then order my copy post-haste.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Commander Koenig Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:40 am

That is excellent news Robert. I look forward very much to this book, I'm sure the wait will have been more than worth it. Can't wait!
Commander Koenig
Commander Koenig
Admin

https://space1999.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:27 am

Thanks s99 and Commander Koenig! I'm excited to see my first copy, too, and I will certainly let you know when that happens....
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Gerard Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:32 am

Robert I will be purchasing my copy.
Steve Gerard
Steve Gerard

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:01 pm

I have received more details/clarification from my publisher regarding the UK vs. North America release dates for my book.

Telos will be supplying their North American distributors, Fitzhenry & Whiteside, with a bulk consignment of copies later in the year, so it is doubtful North American retailers will have copies for at least six months. This is because, for various logistical reasons, the formal US/Canadian publication dates for Telos books are generally about six months later than the UK publication dates.

This means that for the present time, the best/only source for American and Canadian readers to order copies of "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" is the Telos website at www.telos.co.uk .

Sorry for any earlier confusion, but I wasn't aware of the different formal release dates between the UK and North America until now.
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Robert, will Telos be supplying Amazon UK with books at the present time?
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:19 pm

My understanding is that Telos will be supplying UK retailers (such as Amazon, I believe) in the coming days or weeks after they have completed fulfilling pre-orders made directly from their own site.

My recommendation is that everyone just go ahead and order directly from the Telos website at www.telos.co.uk - we're already hearing reports on other Forums that the first copies of the book have arrived with UK purchasers today. Ordering directly from Telos is the simplest thing to do.
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Kearley Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:08 pm

Ordering direct from Telos won't be the cheapest option though. I
think I'll wait until Book Depository have some in stock.
Andrew Kearley
Andrew Kearley

http://www.eyespider.freeserve.co.uk/space/content.html

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:51 pm

Andrew Kearley wrote:Ordering direct from Telos won't be the cheapest option though. I

Telos is very expensive on their S&H. I will wait until Amazon UK acquires their stock, as their fees are much more affordable, even when shipping to North America.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:57 pm

Andrew Kearley wrote:Ordering direct from Telos won't be the cheapest option though. I

Well, of course you're free to wait and order it from another seller, but I'm happy to hear others online suggesting that as there is nearly 500 pages of text, as well as a colour photo section, the book is a superb value for the list price.

I noticed the other day that when John Muir's old "Exploring Space: 1999" book was released in 1997 (13 years ago) it was priced at $37.95 US (if memory serves - I threw the flyer away), far higher than "Destination: Moonbase Alpha", and it was a comparatively tiny book at just barely over 200 pages.
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Kearley Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Well, there's no doubt that the book is very reasonably priced.
But I never pay list price for anything these days, I go for the
cheapest available price, and if that means waiting a little longer to
get hold of it, then so be it.
Andrew Kearley
Andrew Kearley

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:34 pm

Andrew Kearley wrote:Well, there's no doubt that the book is very reasonably priced.
But I never pay list price for anything these days, I go for the
cheapest available price, and if that means waiting a little longer to
get hold of it, then so be it.

That's fine Andrew - as long as you end up buying a copy, I'm happy!
Smile
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:18 pm

It is not the price of the book I hold any reservations toward (most especially not at 500 pages with a colour inclusion), it is when I perceive the cost of S&H being inflated for extra profit that I object. I much prefer at-cost S&H and a higher item price. It just feels more honest, IMHO.

£13 for book... very, very reasonable; £8.25 S&H to North America... disproportionately high. I'm sorry.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:24 pm

I noticed the other day that when John Muir's old "Exploring Space: 1999" book was released in 1997 (13 years ago) it was priced at $37.95 US (if memory serves - I threw the flyer away), far higher than "Destination: Moonbase Alpha", and it was a comparatively tiny book at just barely over 200 pages.

Yes, it was pricey, but it was also hardcover and much larger in size than a standard paperback. However, your point is well taken.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:13 pm

s99fan wrote:

Yes, it was pricey, but it was also hardcover and much larger in size than a standard paperback. However, your point is well taken.

Actually, I believe that "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" (which is an A5 format book) is virtually the same dimensions as "Exploring Space: 1999". "Destination: MBA" is not a standard paperback, it's a trade paperback. But you're right, "Exploring..." was a hardcover (albeit a rather plain one).
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by CalgaryAlphan Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:24 pm

s99fan wrote:It is not the price of the book I hold any reservations toward (most especially not at 500 pages with a colour inclusion), it is when I perceive the cost of S&H being inflated for extra profit that I object. I much prefer at-cost S&H and a higher item price. It just feels more honest, IMHO.

£13 for book... very, very reasonable; £8.25 S&H to North America... disproportionately high. I'm sorry.

Well, that didn't take long - the book is now on eBay, shipping from the UK, and the listing mentions shipping costs as "GBP 9.96 Royal Mail Airmail (Small Packets)".
CalgaryAlphan
CalgaryAlphan

Back to top Go down

Post by s99fan Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:59 pm

CalgaryAlphan wrote:
s99fan wrote:It is not the price of the book I hold any reservations toward (most especially not at 500 pages with a colour inclusion), it is when I perceive the cost of S&H being inflated for extra profit that I object. I much prefer at-cost S&H and a higher item price. It just feels more honest, IMHO.

Well, that didn't take long - the book is now on eBay, shipping from the UK, and the listing mentions shipping costs as "GBP 9.96 Royal Mail Airmail (Small Packets)".

I would be interested in learning the actual cost from an unbiased source in the UK as I do realise their mail service is costly, and it is not impossible that I am being too harsh. However, I respectfully decline to accept ebay as the definitive reference.
s99fan
s99fan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Gerard Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:58 am

CalgaryAlphan wrote:
Actually, I believe that "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" (which is an A5 format book) is virtually the same dimensions as "Exploring Space: 1999". "Destination: MBA" is not a standard paperback, it's a trade paperback. But you're right, "Exploring..." was a hardcover (albeit a rather plain one).

CalgaryAlphan good description of "Exploring Space: 1999". I felt the cost came from it being a hard cover and not from its limited illustrations & photos. I'm buying your DESTINATION MOONBASE ALPHA, at 500 pages of your hard work, it will be the best SPACE:1999 reference book for years to come. "Destination: Moonbase Alpha" book - Page 2 Fresse
Steve Gerard
Steve Gerard

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Kearley Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:29 pm

s99fan, you might want to check out bookdepository.co.uk. They
offer free shipping worldwide, and they're only asking £9.74 for the
book. They haven't got it in stock yet, but it would be worth
keeping an eye on them and ordering it once they have. That's
where I'm probably going for it. I also find that they're a lot
better than Amazon for stocking books from small niche publishers like
Telos.
Andrew Kearley
Andrew Kearley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next